Arun Veterinary Group

The hidden dangers of spring flowers

BLOG CATEGORIES
20200506_092912

Hunter the fox red Labrador is just ten months old and a few days ago on Easter Monday, curiosity got the better of this handsome teenager. The sun was shining and he was feeling the joys of spring. So much so that Hunter decided to fully embrace the season by having a nibble on a few daffodil flowers.

Unfortunately like many spring flowers, daffodil bulbs and flowers are toxic to dogs causing vomiting, diarrhoea, ataxia (unbalanced) and drowsiness. Occasionally dogs can also experience heart irregularities and seizures.

The same goes for Tulips, which cause irritation to the mouth and gastrointestinal tract.

Quite quickly poor Hunter started vomiting and became very subdued. His owner called us at our 24 hour hospital and we advised him to bring Hunter down to us where our team would be ready and waiting. As we are in the midst of the Covid 19 pandemic and in lockdown, following all social distancing rules, we brought Hunter into the hospital to be examined. Fortunately Hunters symptoms were fairly mild and we were confident he had emptied his stomach already of the spring flowers. Once vet Christian was satisfied Hunter was not in immediate danger he was able to prescribe him with just supportive treatment and discharge him home to his family.

Keep an eye on those bulbs and flowers but of course enjoy these beautiful spring flowers.

No Comments

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Recommend a friend

and each receive a £10 credit

SIGN UP NOW